The NIMk is seeking an artistic generalist with knowledge of and a vision for new media art, who will further expand the tasks and programmes of the Institute: a person with vision, whose innovative ideas and élan will define the new course of the NIMk. The candidate has acquired experience in the direction or management of an institution involved with presentation or collection, and is able to give form to aspirations in concrete projects and products in an inspiring manner: exhibitions and other public events, expert meetings and publications. Furthermore, he or she feels at home in the network of visual art and new media, internationally, nationally and locally.
The General / artistic director works together closely with the Business director. In accordance with the principles of the Code of Cultural Governance, the directors are under the supervision of the Board of Trustees. Within this framework the General director formulates a vision for the Institute, and for its activities and cultural programme. In doing so, he or she will strengthen the position of the NIMk as a trendsetting presence in the national and international field.
Among the tasks are:
– Programming: assessing, initiating and developing diverse projects;
– Responsibility for the supervision of colleagues in this process;
– Drawing up policy plans, supervision of and responsibility for their realisation;
– Development of the general strategy of the Institute: artistic / substantive policy, marketing and organisation;
– Directing the Staff and artistic and technical personnel;
– Maintaining and expanding the NIMk’s networks;
– Representing the NIMk internally and externally, and to that end communicating with very diverse target groups, from specialists in the field to the general public;
– Fund raising, budgeting and planning in cooperation with the Business Director.
– An artistic generalist with knowledge of and a vision for new media, and a broad perspective on current 20th and 21st century visual art;
– With a solid (inter)national network at the level of the most discussed institutions in the field of new media and visual art;
– With a sense for the different components of the NIMk: presentation, participating in projects and collaborative arrangements, development, conservation and management;
– Who can actively give shape to the further development and profiling of the substance and social position of the NIMk;
– Proactive and enterprising, with an eye for opportunities, a capacity to see connections and make prompt decisions;
– With relevant management experience;
– Team player, flexible, with a high level of social skills;
– Outstanding skills in communication, internally and externally;
– Capacity for cooperation with others, inside and outside the organisation;
– Fluent writer, for the optimal presentation of the content of the NIMk to varied audiences, via classic and new (social) media;
– Knowledge of financial affairs, experience with seeking grants and recruiting sponsors;
– Ability to think and work at an academic level;
– The General / artistic director will have a mastery of the Dutch language, or must be able to quickly attain a thorough mastery of Dutch.
– Annual contract, with the possibility of renewal
– 32 hours per week
– Commencing 1 December, 2010
– Responses to email@example.com before 12 July, 2010
– Interviews in the first 2 weeks of August
– References upon request
– Assessment is among the possibilities